Monday, September 10, 2012

My Summer Vacation / Pennsylvania/ Day 13

Lucky day 13 took us to Pennsylvania. Neither of us had ever been there before. I have to admit that when I saw this sign, I did smile.

I was enjoying the scenery until we saw this.
Did they really want me to drive through a great big mountain? They sure did!

I was pretty darn happy to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I was thrilled to see that Pennsylvania reminded me a lot of Tennessee. Tennessee is one of my very favorite states. I love the mountains. We were heading for Ligonier. We had been told that it was a quiet, cute little town and after the hussle and bussle we had been through the last week, we were ready for quiet.


The night before at the hotel in Maryland, we had got online and booked a room at the Ligonier Country Inn. It looked really cute and homey. We got to town and were told our room wasn't ready. Come back at 4:00. So, we drove into town and found Fort Ligonier.

It was kind of cool.

There were spikes everywhere you looked.

This sign kind of cracked me up. What moat???

There were lots of out buildings.

There were quite a few covered wagons.





There were lots of cannons too.

I thought it was funny that I wasn't allowed to take pictures in the Fort Ligonier Museum when just the day before, I could take as many as I wanted at the Smithsonian.


About 5:00, we headed back to the hotel. We got checked in and went up to our room. It was kind of a case of culture shock, but in a good way.


When was the last time you saw a rotary dial television? It did have cable, but really? There was also an air conditioner cut into the wall. The bed was brass which was cool and had a pretty quilt. It was on the order of a bed and breakfast, but we had our own bathroom in our room. It wasn't billed like this on the website, but we were okay with it. It was clean and the bed seemed comfy. We got cleaned up and headed downstairs to the little restaurant and bar near the lobby that was CLOSED! We got back in the car and drove three towns over the big mountain and found a little hole in the wall steak house that had excellent food. That was a nice surprise. We drove back to downtown Ligonier and found out that they must roll up the sidewalks at 6:00 because the only thing we could find open was gas stations. We walked around the town a little and headed back to our room. Day 13 was in the books.

1 comment:

  1. At first, I thought that t.v. was part of the museum. lol. Neat pictures...and it does remind me of Tennessee.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. It makes me feel like I know you better. Even if you just say hi, please leave me one!